Mary Jane goes to high school


Last Thursday Mary Jane went to high school.
A few weeks ago on a rainy Monday afternoon she came out of our school district administration offices with a shiny new employee ID badge. Pretty blue lanyard. Substitute custodian.

Supervisor of the department will call her in for orientation, any day now. 
Week goes by, no call. Then a couple more weeks, maybe three before we come to the conclusion that the custodians aren't clamoring for her help.  At the same time she can see that a couple other departments need subs almost every day.

I suggested food service, working around a cafeteria is more relaxed than doing para work with students in a classroom.  She ended deciding to try a paraprofessional assignment, covering for a woman who spends her shift helping  IEP kids with their high school coursework.  Sign in 7:30 Thursday morning.

I opened google earth and zeroed in on the campus, showing her where to park and how to get to her building.  Assured her that everyone is really nice there, including the kids as long as you don't get in anyone's face about anything.  Catch more flies with honey.

Who wouldn't be Scared shitless?  Pulling open the heavy glass door into that high school after how many years?  Not so much fun back in the day for that matter. I admire her courage walking up to the counter and introducing herself.

I left home ten minutes ahead of her that day, for a job at another high school.  A few minutes early, I pulled into Winco parking lot, almost didn't check email, the job I came for had been cancelled.  Instantly snagged another, across town in the building right next to Mary Jane's. Pulled into the space where I told her to park. 

Couple minutes after I get into my room MJ texts, what are you doing here?  Parked next to the van.  Fun day.  I had junior and senior language arts classes.  Reading Shakespeare aloud and writing web blogs.  Every once in a while a text came in from MJ over in the next building.  Sub teacher in math class ...chaos. I felt like one of the kids, texting back and fourth among friends throughout the day.

Wouldn't have blamed her if she came out of there saying never again.  Frequently feel that way myself.  But she almost had a good time.  Summed up the experience saying that they are really a bunch of good kids. 


   



Comments

Popular Posts