coffee and keyboard





Tell myself it's a hobby but it's closer to OCD. 
Every morning for the past quarter century it's the same routine. Pour a cup of coffee, fire up the computer, find some music, open a writing file and settle in for an hour with coffee and keyboard. 

Found an unused motel room Cuisinart in a thrift a couple years ago, black plastic with stainless carafe, just enough to get me going for the day. Distilled water and it never needs the vinegar clean out. Used to have it on a timer in my room, wake up to the first gurgle of hot water into rich black grounds.  My brother Justin could reach out from his bed for the first cup without his touching his feet to the floor.  Some people know how to live.

My hour of reverie comes to an end the same way every day. Just about the time I'm getting into a comfortable groove putting words on the page, one eye on the clock hoping to carry the momentum through a couple more lines, I reach over to the thermos one last time. Set it back down with a disgusted little shake, make sure it is empty.

Into the shower, see what the real world wants to do with me today.  



Comments

Popular Posts