swimming again




Back in the pool at the Y at long last -- figured I'd be so out of shape couldn't swim a full lap without sinking to the bottom in total exhaustion, arms and legs thrashing around randomly.  But the obsessive walking up to the highway and back must be good exercise,  I got a couple twelve lap workouts last week,  then eighteen yesterday, could easily have gotten twenty-five except for the leg cramp which is common for me in the later stages of my workout. Probably need to drink more water, but getting each breath as close to the surface as possible, frequently shipping a little, run the pumps to clear bilges then I'm supposed to be thirsty take a big drink between sets?  

I didn't go back to the Y for quite a while after they opened, by appointment.  Masks on the pool deck, bring your own towel and fill the water flask at home,  limited number of swimmers except that may be changing and not for the better.  Opening up for three or four people in each lane - I can deal comfortably with one other person in the lane, but not sure how it works with more than that unless everyone swims at about the same speed, maintain distance. 

Got a compliment though.  Discussing that issue with a lifeguard, told him I'm the slowest guy in the club and he told me I"m not really that slow.  All I see is people passing me on both sides and me telling myself we are here for the workout and to perfect the strokes and breathing and forget about the competition.  Always pick up the pace just a little when someone whizzes by in the next lane never mind they are thirty or forty pounds lighter and nearly that much younger in age.  



Comments

Popular Posts