when good numbers go bad

Four years ago, plus or minus an old man's memory, my blood work came back with somewhat elevated glucose numbers.  Always google those things when they come and promptly forget the whole thing if the numbers are good, freak when they are too high.

 Diabetes runs in the family on my dad's side. Well grounded fear motivated me to give up the two Bismark style doughnuts I loved to eat on the way home from work nearly every day.  Sub teaching burns a huge amount of nervous energy, hit of sugar and fat really goes down well about three o'clock in the afternoon.  Besides, WINCO doughnuts are not nearly as good as Haggen, therefore not nearly so bad for me.  

Scared about the real danger of developing diabetes, I managed to avoid the doughnut case all year, until the next blood draw.  All numbers look good.  On top of that, I had lost ten pounds.  Under 200 for the first time since my mid-forties.  Suddenly that doughnut case didn't scare me so much.

Numbers are still good two blood draws later, but the old habits have crept back in, whispering in my ear that it's just this once and you can quit any time, and besides let's think about something else now.  Weight has been creeping back up. Those next size smaller pants that I felt so proud to wear are getting a bit tight.

Good numbers gone bad.  When things looked sketchy in my annual blood work I made simple dietary changes, motivated by fear.  Improved health indicators dampened my resolve, resulting in weight gain, which one tends to think of as not so good, no matter what the blood work says.

Would I be better off today if the doc saw that the blood work looked good, but told a little white lie to me that motivates healthy lifestyle choices?

On the other hand, one guy about my age I know lost some weight and looked great.  Lost a little more and looked gaunt.  Didn't see him for three weeks when word came through the community he had gone into the hospital and passed.      Guts full of cancer.  Maybe I don't want to start losing weight at this stage of my life?

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. So I decided to drink more water - mostly because I started swimming and get cramps in my calves sometimes. Working as a sub school teacher I don't get bathroom passes in the middle of class .

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts