wrong side of the bed


Mother always said if you are cranky in the morning you got up on the wrong side of the bed. Cranky every morning before coffee so I heard that a lot. 

Usually, for lack of space in a bedroom, the wrong side gets pushed up against the wall and for most of my life, I couldn't sleep except in that corner. As close to the wrong side of things as a guy can get and still be in the right maybe? 

So not long ago, I had to liberate myself from that. Still adjusting.  Happened
something like this.  

One day, sometime during the summer MJ came home with a thrift store hummingbird feeder. Flower blossoms painted on the glass.  "Clean this up and hang it in the tree out back."  

I'm working on my Jade plant hobby in the breezeway between house and garage, set the new feeder on a shelf to forget about same as most of the other projects the boss orders.  Within minutes a little hummer came past stopped for a careful look at the new feeder.

Two or three weeks later I got around to sterilizing the new feeder, filled it with sugar water.  We use half sugar in a two-cup measuring cup, fill it with boiling water to resolve. When cool refill the feeders. Sticky, that stuff is about the same as Karo syrup. hung it in the tree at the bottom of our garden where we have had the feeder the past couple of years.  Before that I thought they buzzed their way south for the winter, maybe that's their natural way and we are upsetting that by feeding?  I'll look that up when this story is finished.

Found out why such a clean and cool looking feeder ended up in the thrift store.  It doesn't work and I never figured out why.  Save on sugar water I guess, the other feeders need to be filled every few days that one never went down.  Glass and plastic, I took it apart to make sure nothing obstructed the and sent it out with the recycle.  Am I the only one who feels as if it is a civic duty to have the recycle bin filled to the top every two weeks?

The buzzy who came by for a close look at the bad feeder gave me the idea to put a feeder on that shelf, about five feet off the ground, close under my bedroom window. Enjoy the little critters closer to where I live. 

The first few days I'm hearing the buzz of wings but never see that much.  The wrong side of the bed has to be in front of the windows and I can't possibly rearrange the whole room and what am I going to do. That sort of morning. 

Later or next day or a few days thinking about the problem, measure here and there and realize the bed can be moved. Lots of access to both windows without upsetting the rest of my system.  Fun until we took the feeders down due to a disease issue, still a better use of my space.

Solve one problem create another.  See the birds up close, take my meals in front of the bright windows, but with the bed equally accessible from both sides, how do I follow mother's advice? Where is the wrong side? 

My life in a tangle and I haven't even gotten out to the kitchen for breakfast yet.
  


Comments

Popular Posts