Mow the lawn

Milestone yesterday, almost as much a thing as losing the manhood when cancer set in a couple years ago.  Can't mow the lawn anymore.  Even on the flat part and my mower is self-propelled so all I have to do is aim the thing and walk behind.  Too much pain in my right hip and knee.  All my life I've had this attitude that I could tough my way through but not this time.  Got around the edge of where I planned to suggest MJ mow, but couldn't get any further.  

Love my lawnmower.  Got it new. There used to be a traditional hardware store over in Stanwood with a small engine repair shop in back. Sold and fixed lawnmowers and chain saws and the guys running the place could answer any question.  The building stands empty and isn't there already enough breweries in these little towns?  

Both of us are getting older now. The cable that activates the drive wheels has long ago been replaced with baling wire and weeds are growing from the buildup of clippings in places I've ignored cleaning.  Original blade has been sharpened with a grinder countless times and the aluminum cowling is oxidized.  Still starts on the first pull unless it's been running.  Then she takes more than an hour to cool down before it will start again.  One of these winters I'm going to tear that thing down, replace the electrical system and gosh only knows what else. Toon it up. One of these winters.

For now, it is still running.  I set the cutting level higher so it will plow through the taller grass and weeds - wildflowers - we have growing in this yard garden.  We both like things on the wild side.  This place is the interface between salt chuck and upland habitat. The call of sea birds echoes into my bedroom windows while I'm watching hummingbirds and house finches getting started for the morning.  

Comments

Popular Posts